Thursday, September 6, 2007

First Day of School and Gymnastics

Well Peyton had her first day of school yesterday and she was very nervous. We had her bucket filled and started to school. She was prepared for her classroom and the teacher but was not prepared for her classmates. She had been going this summer and I think she didn't realize that the students would be different. She went in and put her chapel money in the basket, put her bucket on the shelf, and found her seat with her name on it. There were mirrors there and she was supposed to draw a picture of herself. She started and Landree and I left.

After school she was supposed to have her first day of gymnastics. I picked Abby and Kacy up from their daycare- very cool and high tech. We waited with the other moms and here came a line of Pre-Kers with buckets. Peyton was very excited to have a green smiley face in her bucket. It was a great day. . . . and then we went to gymnastics.

We should have just stopped there, we had had a successful day and I shouldn't have pushed my luck. The girls were excited to go and Abby and Kacy ended up having their neighbors in their class. The place was huge and had an observation deck up top for parents. I put up everyone's hair and got the girls ready to go in. I'm introduced to Peyton's teacher, Coach Vlady. Are you kidding me, this is an Olympic 4-time gold Champion and he is going to be teaching my 4 year old. Well of course you know I was excited and Landree and I went up to the observation room and I pulled up two chairs and got a snack out for Landree and was all set. I realized then that there were only 6 kids in her class and was surprised at the small class size. I look over and see my other two girls and decided this was going to be great. Then the four year old threw a kink in my plans. They spread out on ovals for their stretching, everyone is stretching but Peyton. Coach Vlady goes to talk to her- nothing. Everyone gets down on the floor to keep stretching- but Peyton. Coach Vlady goes to talk to her- nothing. Another teacher notices and goes to talk to her- nothing. She looks up at me and I point down for her to sit- nothing. She is standing there with her head bowed and hands by her side. She keeps looking up at me- I keep pointing- nothing. Then one of the other moms asks if that is my child in the stars. Of course she is my child but who wanted to claim her, I was tempted to say oh no those two little brunettes over in the red (Abby & Kacy) are my two children, that one in the stars is the neighbor's kids. But of course I have to say yes and then all the moms tried to diagnose her problem. I then decide to scoot my chair out of her site and end up falling out of my chair- oh heavens is this day going to get any better. Then I watch as they start moving to their rotations to start the balance beam and I think ok here we go because Peyton loved the balance beam at her old gym and this will get her out of it. But noooo, not my child, she doesn't move and jerks her arm away when Coach Vlady touches her. One of the moms offers to watch Landree and I went downstairs. You all know I watch Landree like a hawk so you know how bad it must be for me to leave her with a stranger. I get down there and Peyton bursts into tears and tells me she doesn't like this kind of gymnastics and wants a girl teacher. Are you kidding me- you have the most talented person in the whole room and you would rather have someone else. So I do the normal talking to her and she wants to leave. People, I resorted to bribes which I don't know that I have ever done and nothing. The lady that runs the place came over and tried to talk to her. She had stopped crying and was now just being stubborn. You could see she wanted to go do it but wouldn't swallow her pride. I refused to let her leave the gym so I went back upstairs and got Landree and we sat at the edge while Peyton sat and watched her class. Needless to say, Daddy was not empressed when he got there. After class Brian met the coach and he said that Peyton just needed time and he would see her next week. Well I'll just tell you, I have never seen Brian so upset. I think it has something to do with his whole sports background. It was not a pretty night at my house and Peyton had the nerve to ask for dessert after dinner. Wouldn't you like to go back to being four and clueless. At least it gave me a good laugh with Mama later. Here my child has an opportunity that other parents would love and she did NOTHING. It was today that I learned that no matter how much I would like to, I can't make a four year old do something she doesn't want to do. Be looking for an update next week for Gymnastics, Part 2.

I couldn't help myself and had to include pictures of Landree at supper last night. As you can tell, she was oblivious to the tension in the room. She loved the chicken leg and as clean as her bone was, she had to have eaten things off that leg that she was not supposed to eat.

No comments: